Question
Posted by: lee | 2009/12/03

boyfriend gets ' attacked'  as he falls asleep

Hi Doc,

I dont know if you can help but hopefully you can.
My boyfriend of 4 years has some weird episodes.
As he falls asleep (sometimes) he says he feels like he' s being attacked by something. He' s convinced its a ghost but maybe you have an explanantion for it.
He says that as this feeling hits him he cant move or speak. All he can move are his toes and fingers. And he moans trying to fight it off. I have to shake him quite hard for him to get back to normal. Afterwards, he is drained and exhausted.
It happened quite frequently a few years ago and then went away for awhile but now it seems as if its coming back.
Any suggestions? I know it sounds crazy but its true

Thanks very much

Expert ImageSleep Expert

This is a well=known condition called "sleep paralysis", and it is a very frightening situation, but completely harmless. Very rarely it is associated with other sleep disorders, so it might be worthwhile to see a sleep doctor to see if there is anything else of significance, and also if there is not something that can be done for his symptoms.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2009/12/04

Reply to Sleep expert