Posted by: Anon | 2012-12-11

Boyfriend doesnt sleep

Dear Doc

Im concerened about my boyfriend as he only sleeps for a few hours. Even if we go 2 bed at the same time, he will wake up in the early hours of the morning and go watch tv in the living room. I have spoken 2 him about this countless times n he assured me that the reason he wakes up in the middle of the night is that he runs out of sleep. Funny enough he''ll watch the tv for a few minutes and end up asleep on the couch. Then i wuld have to wake up n go 2 swicth off the tv as the noise irritates mi sleep. I''m even thinking of hiding the tv remote when we go 2 bed at night.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

It is completely normal to wake, roughly every 90 minutes. Mostly, we don't remember it. What seems to be happening is that he becomes aware of it, and then thinks that he has had enough sleep. Then he falls asleep in front of the TV.

He needs to understand that waking is normal, and it can take up to 20 minutes to fall asleep again.

He is really getting into some bad habits there, which could get worse over time.

If things do not settle down, he might need to see a sleep doctor. But first let him try just getting back into bed and relaxing.