Posted by: SC | 2011-06-13

Boy cant sit still-flying

I just need some advice my son is almost 3 years old, he is not Add or something, he just cant SIT still for longer than 10 minutes, the last time our flight from Cape Town was a horror, he did not want to sit down, he threw up ect ect, now next week I am flying alone with my two kids, and I am terrified on how I will be able to handle him, by the way all painkillers en meds makes him hyperactive and not drowsy, so 5ml stopayne wont do the job. Do you have any advice for me please?

This scenario strikes fear in many parents and you should not feel alone. The key is to plan some activities and to calm your child and reassure him of his safety. Please refer to the following article, which provide insightful tips:

Ask your pharmacist for a non-sedating anti-emetic to prevent nausea. To combat ear pain, give a child a lollipop to suck on, in order to equalise the pressure in the ears.

Posted by: J | 2011-06-21

3 year olds aren''t generally good at sitting for long periods of time - it''s not in their nature. You could try giving him Rescue Remedy to help with any anxiety he''s feeling - maybe that''s why he throws up. Stopayne shouldn''t be given to calm children down - it contains codeine, and should only be used for when they are really sick. If he''ll drink it try a mix of chamomile &  rooibos tea in a bottle for him - really calming too!

Reply to J