Posted by: Cornel | 2012-02-16

Bowel problems after surgery

Hi there Doc,

Please help. I am 36yrs old. I had Nissen Fundoplication (Laparoscopic) surgery on 8th of Feb. I was discharged (in the City) on the 11th and flew back home and had to go back to our local Hospital as my bladder was not functioning and I needed help to catheterize. I also mentioned to them that I did not had a bowel movement since the day of surgery and they gave me 2 enema''s (Microlax) and nothing happened. Later that night I was given 2 Senekots, nothing happened and the next day they gave me yellow liquid to drink and after the 2nd dose I got my bowels to work a bit. I was discharged as my bladder was working by then, on the Monday.

On post-op day 2 I had a Barium swallow (about 50ml) and was only allowed to drink sips of water and ice and I am still on the Nissen-post op diet - that consists of just very soft en liquid food and I am not eating much at all.

I am not on any weird medication and not taking painmeds anymore.

But I have been using the Enema (microlax) at home, one in the morning and one at night, since yesterday. I get minimal feces that comes out I am almost sure it is still Barium as it is funny looking colour.

What should I do? can I continue using the enema''s to get something out? no watery stools, just bits and pieces coming out.

Thank you for your help as sorry for the yukkie detail.

My problem: it is now 8 days since the surgery. I

If you are on the diet consisting of soft foods and liquids, you should not expect normal stools. Rather continue with the diet as prescribed and stay away from laxatives. You will however, have to inform the surgeon who performed the operation about your lack of passing a normal stool.