Question
Posted by: hilda | 2012/02/20

bowel movements

Good Day Dr. I am a 50yr old lady. Recently I am having the problem where I cannot keep my stools in. I tend to " leak"  if I do not make it in time to the toilet. What could be the cause of this as it can become embarrassing and its come about all of a sudden.
Hope it can be treated!

Many thanks!

Hilda

You have fecal incontinence, which can be due to nerve damage, muscle damage, storage problems or pelvic floor weakness. You will have to consult a gastroenterologist for an examination and treatment. Please refer to the following link for detailed information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_incontinence