Question
Posted by: Stan | 2009-08-30

Bouviers

Recently at a dog show we saw Bouviers + socialised a bit with them. From what we saw we are very keen to get 1. Our Dobie is ageing now - 11 yrs + for security resons we would like to get another large breed dog. We have 2 big children still in the house + we walk our Dobie often. She is not agressive to other dogs, our eldest son' s Chow spent 2 mths here while he was busy moving. Do Bouviers make good family / guard dogs? If so which sex would be best to get. We treat our dog as part of the family + all our previous dogs have always slep in the house. In the past we' ve had 2 Bullmastiffs + this is our second Dobey. We would like to go for a different breed this time. As far as we are concerned, G.S.D" s, Rotties + Boerboels are out. We would welcome input from somebody who is knows Bouviers.

Dear Stan

They make very good guard dogs but I have seen a couple that was aggressive towards both people and other dogs. Just choose from good stock.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-30

Frankly, I think a bouvier sounds like an ideal dog for you. They are large and intimidating-looking, but very trainable, and as long as you' re willing to put in the effort of raising, socialising and exercising the dog properly, I don' t see that you can go far wrong.

Bouviers were (and maybe still are) used as police dogs in France - that should tell you a lot about their qualities.

Go look here for some more info: www followed by:
dogbreedinfo.com/bouvierdesflandres.htm

Whether you get a dog or a bitch is a matter of preference. Because this breed CAN be fairly dominating if allowed to get away with it, it might be easier to handle a female.

Reply to Chill