Posted by: Stan | 2009-09-12

Bouvier pup diet

We will be getting a 7 week old Bouvier pup in 2 weeks time. We can hardly wait to get him. Although the breeder will give us a diet sheet I would like some advice beforehand already. Aslo a factor is that he is 400 km away + it will mean a 4 hour car journey for him + for us. Is there anything special that we need to do on the journey? It will be his first car trip but certainly not the last.

Dear Stan

You can also use Nutricalm for the journey. Chill gave you good advice re the food etc.

Posted by: Just M | 2009-09-14

I just want to add something:

it seems as if you really did your homework in finding a good breeder - especially if you are willing to drive so far to fetch him. Well done! If more people were like you, we wouldn' t have backyard breeders. Enjoy him!

Reply to Just M
Posted by: Big Dog Lover | 2009-09-13

Yes I can only endorse what Chill said about the whole thing. Enjoy him - they are excellent family / guard dogs + really thrive in a family envirovent. We know people who have 2 Bouviers + they re really something. They are aloof with strangers but absolutely devoted to family + excellent with children. We are so happy with our Bullmastiff  very much the same when it comes to family + children but we r also considering getting a Bouvier as well. We have an 18yo daughter with Downs, three married kids + 3 grand children. The Bullmastiff is excellent here but I believe that the Bouvier will be just as good. Enjoy him.

Reply to Big Dog Lover
Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-12

Follow the breeder' s advice regarding diet, at least for the first little while - it' s a good idea not to upset his entire world all in one go!

He will need the best quality puppy food you can get - Hill' s, Eukanuba, Vet' s Choice are some names that come to mind - you need to get the variety for LARGE breed puppies, and he needs to stay on this until he' s 18 months old, whereafter you gradually ' wean'  him onto the adult version - still large breed variety, if your chosen brand has the option.

That' s really all he needs - boring as it may sound. Obviously you' ll sneak him regular treats - we all do that! - but don' t give him any supplements, except on your vet' s advice. Not too many years ago, owners of large breed pups were told to supplement calcium in order to help prevent/minimise such things as hip dysplasia, but it' s now been proven that this may actually aggravate skeletal problems, since it stimulates the bones to grow too fast.

As regards the trip - just play it by ear. He' ll need a comfy and safe place to sleep in. If at all possible, someone should come on the drive to look after him - it may be an intimidating experience for him. Be prepared for some carsickness - take a few old towels and wipes - and take something for him to eat and drink (plus a bowl, of course). He' ll also need to widdle en route, so make sure you have a little harness and lead (better than a collar for a pup that hasn' t been accustomed to one yet), so that there' s no chance of him galloping off somewhere. You' ll probably find he' ll sleep most of the way, though.

Good luck - I can quite imagine you' re excited about this.

Reply to Chill