Posted by: Too many muffins | 2008-11-17

Bouncing About

I used to run quite regularly, but winter' s taken its toll on my exercise regime... and on my stomach. I' m now a little too " cuddly"  for my liking, and I' d like to try something new. Someone recently suggested that i try jumping on a trampoline. Is this really effective?

The use of a trampoline for fitness and weight loss is a topic that came up recently in another question as well, and I'll stick by my answer to that one, which is that I am not convinced that trampolining alone will offer a very effective form of cardio training to become fit or to lose weight. I believe that the intensity that you get from trampolining is very difficult to raise to the sorts of levels you could easily to in running, cycling etc. and for that reason, I don't believe it is as effective a weight loss or fitness tool as these activities. That's why walking up the stairs is still a little different. That, and the fact that it's a completely different type of activity, so it's not actually all that unusual to still feel tired, even when fit. Even runners will feel stairs more than they would expect to. Having said that, I do believe that trampolining could be part of a well balanced exercise routine, because it offers basically no impact and certain exercises that are good for balance, flexibility and to a lesser extent fitness. HOwever, I do think that you should consider making trampolining PART of, rather than the the focus of training. One of the benefits is actually that the loading on the joints is LOWER than for something than running, so that's actually a good thing.

If you do decide this, then I would suggest that you check out the fitness page of the site, then click on programmes and then choose any of these as you see fit.