Posted by: Trainer | 2009-05-01

Bottled water

I re-use water bottles like Bon Aqua and Valpre during training. However, I recently read an article that warns against the toxins being released by old plastic bottles. What is your take on this?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Trainer

Unfortunately this is true and especially if you expose the plastic to extreme heat and cold temperatures – thus I recommend that if you recycle your bottles keep them away from the sun and don’t freeze the water therein. This also accounts for warming food in plastic in the microwave. Keep in mind that the harder the plastic the less toxins it usually dispels.

Take care

Posted by: Deana | 2009-05-13

Vanessa, with all due respect, where is the science behind that? If this site let me post links, I could show several, academic, scientific publications that show that this is a myth.

Lets keep it simple. Please Google " toxins plastic water bottle"  and read for yourself. The very first search result if from Snopes dot Com, a site that busts these urban myths. This is an urban legend, an email forward rumor that holds no water if you' ll excuse the pun.

Also visit Plasticsmythbuster dot Org. Its dispels this myth, and has an article called " How to research an email rumour." 

Reply to Deana
Posted by: Anise | 2009-05-05

I don' t think there' s anything to that theory. We eat &  drink many types of products from plastic containers &  have done so for decades. Tupperware, cola bottles, baby formulas and so much more comes from plastic &  I' ve yet to hear of any illness being caused by plastic toxins from that.

Some manufacturers of the more expensive metal exterior &  flask type of bottles may be the ones pushing this toxin theory. I had friends in the US Peace Corps who swear by their plastic Nalgene bottles for keeping water clean &  SAFE when they are in 3rd world countries.

Reply to Anise