Question
Posted by: Andres | 2012/01/10

Botox for Headache

Hello

My neurologist has diagnosed me with a chronic daily headache (I have a headache all the time for 7 months). No triptans work and he wants me to have botox injections. I am wondering if anyone has had success with this treatment, as it sounds unusual.

Thankyou

Andres

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Andres,

Muscle tension is one of the major causes of headaches, and Botox is sometimes used to treat them. Fot the treatment to be successful though, It is important though to be sure that muscle tension is indeed the cause of your pain, and the only way to do this is for the doctor to examine the muscles to diagnose which ones are causing your pain. Just to inject Botox randomly will not help. Before having the treatment make sure that your doctor knows exactly where to inject the Botox.

Please also remember that the Botox, if successful, last only a few months.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2012/01/10

Dear Andres,

Reply to Headache expert