i am 27 years old and i am considering getting botox for lines under my eyes and around my mouth (from my nose to the corner of my mouth) I am a bit scared to start with botox at this age - will botox eventually make me age faster?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Anonymous, thank you for the question.

The lines found just below the eye and lower eyelid can be difficult to treat and the treatment choice is dependent on the cause. Some patients respond with low doses of Botox but one may have to consider fillers and/or even laser if the results are not optimal. The wrinkles that appear on the side of the eye (outer corner) and are exaggerated by smiling (crow’s feet) respond extremely well to Botox.

The line from the lower corner of the nose to the corner of the mouth is known as the Naso Labial Fold (NLF). The NLF is best treated using a dermal filler and my preference would be to use Juvederm HV or Juvederm Ultra or Perlane. These are the only FDA approved NASHA fillers available in SA (other NASHA fillers are currently used in SA but they do not have FDA approval).

The recommended age for starting Botox treatments is around 28 years, but this is dependent on the degree of sun damage and the extent and depth of wrinkles. Botox will not make you age faster and in fact is a true ‘anti-ageing’ tool in that over time less wrinkles will appear and more collagen & elastin will be found in the skin when compared to someone who has not undergone Botox treatments. The recommendation when starting at a younger age with Botox as a preventative is to administer smaller doses allowing for more movement – “Baby Botox”.