Posted by: Lynne | 2009-01-09

Hi Doc,

Sorry to bug you about this - I have been reading alot about botox as I am considering it, but I would love your opinion on it.
How long does it last and will I look worse after it wears out? Is it totally safe, no side effects?
I have tried EVERY cream but to no avail...... what would you recommend for a wrinkled 32 yr old?

Thnx :-)

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lynne, thank you for the question and my apologies for the long delay with my answer.

The effects of Botox typically lasts 3 to 4 months (on average) but this length of duration is dependent on the type used (Botox™ or Dysport®), the dosage injected, and the area and muscle injected. There is no evidence that Botox will produce any long term side effects and I consider this a very safe option especially when considering the fact that Botox™ has been used in medicine for over 30 years and cosmetically for over 25 years. Once the effect of Botox has worn off, your skin will return to its normal state or may even appear slightly better.
In my opinion Botox™ is one of the best options for treating certain facial areas.

There are however possible short term side effects such as:

Swelling, bruising, pain on injecting
Eyebrow and eyelid ptosis – this is a drop or a droop typically associated with an incorrect dose or placement of the Botox
Rarely symptoms such as headache, nausea, and lethargy, have been reported but these are self limiting and resolve spontaneously