Posted by: Paranoid Mom | 2009-06-11

Boston Terrier - Throwing up

I don’ t know if I am just paranoid or overreacting so I don’ t want to just take my dog into the vet for no reason as he doesn’ t like it at all being there. I have a 5yr old Boston Terrier he is healthy and happy and naught at times, but he gets days when he just does not want to eat and he sulks in the corner until I want to pick him up and take him to the Dr he then all of a sudden start moving and being happy and jumping and drinking and eating and playing. Then there are days that he eats so much that he actually throws up. I am not sure if it’ s the speed he is eating or the volume as he only gets his set amount of food as indicated on the packet. I have tried different kinds of food and this still happens he also eats grass from time to time and then throws up because of that. I have heard eating grass is a lack of something in their diet so they are now getting supplements on top of their food. When should I worry about this behaviour as I am afraid that one day I will thinking he is “ crying wolf”  when there is something really wrong?

Dear Paranoid mom

Eating grass is normal, just as normal as overeating and throwing up. Are you buying decent dog food?

Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-11

First, eating grass is sometimes just because they like it - doesn' t necessarily mean anything at all.

Second - this dog has you wound around his little finger. You don' t say what kind of food you give - but in my experience, the quantities on the packet are often way off mark - my large dog eats less than a quarter of the amount the makers recommend, and she' s fit and healthy.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-06-11

Try dividing his ration into smaller meals.

Reply to Carol