Posted by: Laura | 2012-01-29

Boston terrier - back problem?

My Boston Terrier is 8 years old. A while back I noticed him walking funny. His back was hunched, his head lowered and it looked like he could not take a proper step with his back legs. Also, when he sits down, his back legs look ''floppy''. A few minutes later he was fine. Over the last few weeks this has happened more frequently. When it happens, I can pick him up and stroke him, so he does not seem to be in pain, he just looks really uncomfortable.

Any thoughts?

Hi Laura

It is difficult to say what the problem is without doing a clinical examination and diagnostics such as an X-ray. We do know that Boston terriers are predisposed to certain conditions that cause neurological problems – hemivertebra, sacrocaudal dysgenisis e.t.c. and these need to be investigated. If the problem continues I strongly advise that you take him to your local vet for a thorough clinical and diagnostics.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell