Question
Posted by: wazz | 2008/06/02

Boss threatening to fire

In january my boyfriend suffered for some kind out break down and was treated for "post truamatic stress" and was off work for 4 days. He was them off sick for 3 days with stomach cramps and vomiting. The following week he was hospitalised and and is being treated for depression. The doctor advised that he was not in any state to return to work and wanted to book him off for 4 weeks. When he was discharged from the hospital he told the doctor he would like to return to work on the monday. The doctor gave him a medical certificate to say he was treated in hospital and that he could return to work, half day with a follow up a week later to do an assessment. The boss was informed. Monday came and my boyfriend could not go to work due to the depression. The boss has stated that he can not run a company with out some in that position and can not wait. Can he fire him?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

as long as you are covered by a medical certificate and there is a good chance of recovery then the dismissal would be deemed to be unfair.