Posted by: Beulah | 2009-03-17

Boss from hell

I' ve recently started a new job about 6 months ago after having relocated to another province . I have a boss from hell .
- The way he talks to (us) his subordinates shows total lack of respect ( he shouts at us and being middle level managers)
- he does not plan properly &  expects me to leave everything else &  do what he wants .
- he would give tight deadlines like "  I want this in 2 hrs time)
-he expects us to work on weekends and after hours &  yet we never get recognition for work done .Just a simple " thanks for the effort"  not monetary rewards
I do feel like resigning but I cannot afford to as I' m currently going through a divorce. I' m not used to this kind of management &  the way he treats us is against my value system.
- He further threatness us by saying "  Tell me if you want to be in my black book , I' m sure you would not want that ?"  I have to drag myself out of bed everyday &  I do think that I' m sinking into depression. I have started binge drinking , I' m starting to crave alcohol more &  more , I lost interest in my normal activities. I' m beginning to stand up against him &  he does not like it &  has threatened me &  reminded me that I am on probation.Reporting him to his senior will be total waste of time as they are buddies.I cant survive another week here,if I could afford it I could resign but my kids are my main concern because the money is good.What should I do?

There are indeed some utterly atrocious bossses around, wildly incapable of doin g their own job, and intent o blaming every problem on someone else. YOu say you can't report him to his senior, as they are buddies --- what about his boss's boss ? And isn;'t there an HR dept or person you can discuss this with ? Otherwise, if you can't afford to resign ( makes sense, wait for a better job ), then concentrate on not allowing his silly behaviour to hurt you. Look on it calmly as you would if a dog barked at you --- the noise tells you the dog is grumpy, but doesn't actually say anything about you. Confronting him won't help you to feel better, either.