Question
Posted by: Olivia | 2011/08/17

Boss does not get it

One of our guys has been diagnosed as a schizophrenia he''s been at work and off for a while now - he was booked off and hospitalized for 10 days for treatment of bipolar and now has been diagnosed with the schizophrenia and booked off for 3 months.

My boss is forcing him to come to work. He " looses"  it and then he leaves work, he is miserable, moody and rude, we all stay away from him as much as we can.

Now my boss wants me to call this guys shrink and ask IS HE FIT TO WORK, i mean what part of booked off for 3 months does my boss not understand?

You can clearly see this guy has lost it, his wife want''s to divorce him. All his time he spends on chat sites and he took up photography and he now photographs nude models and lots of things have happened no wonder his wife want''s to leave him.

He tried the other day to break his arm with a vice grip.

How do i help this young man and how do i get my boss to understand. He believes you just have to " get over it"  - you know the type.

Even my manic depro''ness he does not get or understand so i just hide it and never talk about it. He thinks i''m just a crappy bitch - that its part of my personality.

I'd guess his first diagnosis o schizophrenia has been revised and changed to one of Bipolar, as its very uncommon for anyone to have both. But he, and maybe others affected, should check with Dept of Labour and a labour lawyer, and maybe inform his treating doc - I'm sure it is improper, and maybe even illegal, for a boss to force a sick person to return to work.
Trying to break his arm in a vice is peculiar, dangerouus and obviously highly distressed.
Hopefully the young man is willing to be helped ?

1