Question
Posted by: *Y* | 2009/11/25

Boss

Dear Doc

I asked my boss for a raise. He said no. He didn' t give me a reason as to why not. He keeps on telling me how valueble I am to him and the company. When I got engaged he said I must come ask him if I need anything. We want to get married in 2011. Then he said my marraige is doomed. Me and my fiance have been together for 6yrs already. We live 100km away from each other, because this sounded like my dream job. It isn' t. Our secretary was on holiday a few weeks ago. She asked me to open the mail and put all the statements together so when she comes back, she can pay it. I opened the bank statement. There is more than enough money in there! Am I just paranoid, or is my boss being a real two face? I am looking for a different job, again NO job satisfaction, and it' s not going well. I feel unapreciated.

Its hard to guess about your boss - you surely don't have the total financial picture of the whole company, so as to know not only what is in the bank, but what debts need to be paid, and so on ? Financial appreciation is obviously very welcome, but at a time when the economy is in a mess world-wide, and many companies are closing, or laying off good workers, its hard to be certain that whether they can afford to give you a rise or not. DO you know whether any others have received a raise ?
It must feel very frustrating not to have a raise to make it easier to get married, but after a 6 year engagement, there must have been other reasons for earlier postponements.
I don't at all understand your boss saying that your marriage is doomed. How could he know that and why would he say that ?
Have you sat down with him and had a calm discussion of all this, asking him to help you understand the situation ?

3
Posted by: Answer | 2009/11/25

I think your approach may have been wrong. What you have to do is to prepare something whereby you are able to point out to your boss, exactly WHY you feel you need a raise. Its also a good idea to find out what someone like you earns elsewhere.
Emphasise your length of service, your increases since you strarted, why you consider yourself valuable to the firm, for example, what value have you added to the business, cost savings you have introduced, more efficient methods of working. Tell him what sort of an increase you are looking for. Do NOT use getting married, having a child, moving further away from work or any of those personal things as a reason as it does not add anything to the business and its not his problem
Go back to him once you have prepared your case.

Reply to Answer
Posted by: Answer | 2009/11/25

Reply to Answer