Question
Posted by: Bob' s Girlfriend | 2009/10/19

Bored at work

Hi CS

What am I going to do? I am earning a fantastic salary. My department is perfect. Everything runs smoothly (it took me years to get to this stage) but now I am so very, very bored.

It' s not the work I enjoy my work there is just not enough of it.
Although our company has grown more and more. We don' t have a problem with the recession because we are an advertising company and the more problems people have the more they advertise for business.

I have thought of ways to do more suggesting that I do all the purchasing as well in stead of every deparment/person for themselves, but the boss just said " no it wont work people like the interaction and talking and then we' ll lose the personal feel" .

So back to my office to play games on the internet again!

I cant just go to him and straight out say I don' t have enough work.

I sometimes want to fall asleep and things to go and do or papers to take to people.

I can phone debtors but how many times can you do it when the company has no bad debtors and the people pay when they say the will?

I want to loose my mind im so bored.

Well, I have never experienced the problem of earning a fantastic salary ! Nor have I experienced too little work, though I do understand that this could be unpleasant I dread even getting stuck at an airport without work to do and at least books to read.
What a pleasantly unusual problem ! IS there an HR person, or your boss, where you can discuss how much you love your job, and want to develop it, enrich it, find some more work and challenge within it ?
Outside of work you can explore voluntary work with NGO's and charities, who need all sorts of help, perhaps including some of your expertise.
Maybe start writing the Great South African novel or film-script during the gaps ?

1