Posted by: happiness | 2009-02-17

I have a wonderful life:I' m happily married to a wonderful man, have two kids, a big house, well paying job etc and I' m thankful for everything.
My problem is I feel like there is more to life, like I could be more. I feel like I' m trapped in a box. The more I remain in this box the more I am afraid to get out. I come up with all the reasons for not pursuing my goals even small ones. I am ruled by fear of the unkown but at the same time I would like to explore myself more.I now have constant back and neck pains which I assume is caused by being stressed.

What more ? I"m not challenging you by suggesting that there is no more you could be or do, but suggesting you clarify your thinking, perhaps with a counsellor, about what precisely, for you, would constitute more. Your comments suggest that you have other ngoals, so you're part way towards them. What exactly do you feel would be risksed by trying those goals ? Yes, the pains could well be related to being stressed and miserable. Try the counselling route, to work out where else would be worth going, and how to get there from here

Posted by: Happiness | 2009-02-18

I' ve just realised that the issue I have is how do I pursue my dreams without negleting my family. I grew up being told that its either you choose family or career not both worlds. I chose family and that' s when the need for more came. I love challenge, I thrive under pressure and love competition.

Reply to Happiness
Posted by: Anti Bored | 2009-02-17

They say that only children get bored and need to be constantly stimulated. When you wake up in the morning, list all the things that you are grateful for, even the smallest item. I mean being able to get out of bed on your own, is one, opening your eyes and seeing is another, going to the bathroom on your own, is a big one. Imagine not EVER being able to do any of those relatively small things. You have so much to be thankful for, the small item of exploring yourself is a minor irrelevant thing in the scheme of things. Why not study something worthwhile through UNISA for example that will keep you fully occupied and set a challenge. If you fail in that, well........ you have explored yourself and realised that it was a hurdle too high for you. I' m not sure if you have been too indulged and need to have a good look at your core values. A simple start would be making a big effort to be a better more attentive wife and mother

Reply to Anti Bored
Posted by: Sister | 2009-02-17

My dear, allow me to recommend this book to you: Something More by Sarah Ban Brethnack, something like that, you will identify with it and she assures readers that there' s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting something more

Reply to Sister