Posted by: Skye | 2008-12-10

Borderline Personality Disorder or rude

I tend to push the people in my life away. I will get angry and explode about insignificant things, and then say things that really hurt them. They then either hate or despise me. The I feel depressed about what I' ve done, and realising that I am alone. I then have suicidal notions, actually having the pills or the blade in my hand, but never going through with it. This has happened a number of times. I have no self-confidence or self-esteem, I basically think nothing of myself, I shrug off compliments. But on the other hand I' m also very caring, I like to take care of those close to me and see to their needs more than I do mine. Do I have Borderline Personality Disorder, or some other type of mental disorder, or am I just plain rude and angry, and need to be treated for that?

SOunds most unpleasant, but at least, apparently, you recognize that this problem exists. But what diagnosis might explain this unfortunate behaviour can't be decided by remote control --- you should arrange to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment, and a iscussion of the significance to the reslts. You do seem, whatever else is troubling you, to be describing a sadly low self-esteem, which can respond well to CBT counselling. This doesn't sound particularly like Borderline PD, and should respond to treatment