Posted by: zack | 2008-11-20

borderline personality disorder

Dear doc

Having read an interesting article found on the site on borderline personality disorder, i think i might be a candidate.

I' m a twenty year old student and have been experiencing something strange happening in my life over the past four years.having read the article i highlighted half of it,to what i' m experiencing.Sometimes i feel so depressed that i want to do something to myself,drink,cut myself,anything just to get rid of an edge and the utter sadness of depression.I' ve stolen things,planned corrupt business,the only thing stopping me from doing all these things for now is my focus on my studies and my extreme logic.Its weird because sometimes i' m fine,almost high with happiness and i' m ok half the time,but when i' m alone or under stress,i become an absolute monster inside myself.

My question really is,if i do have this disorder(i obvously cannot diagnose myself) what is the first step,who must i see? And are there levels of this disorder?,because from the article i became very very afraid at the mention of patients being institutionalized. Also what is dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).? and finally...i' m in a creative degree,i feel my problem helps me with creating...will antidepressants numb my creative abilities?

Ah, you may be a candidate, but could you pass the interview ? Seriously, from your description, Borderline Syndrome is one among several possibilities, and the only way to be more sure is to see a good local psychiatrist or psychologist ( maybe through student health ? ) for a proper in-person assessment. There is a wide variation in how severe this and other disorders are, and in treatment and consequences. Institutionalization is uncommon and not usually useful.
I Believe Dialectical Behaviour Therapy is dubious, and makes claims beyond what can be proved so far. The method I generally recommend, for which there is far more evidence of efficacy is Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT. That can hekp depression adn behaviour problems without reducing, maybe even stimulating creative capacity ; antiodepressants don't usually impair creativity --- again, if Depression is reducing creativity, ADs will probably help to increase it

Posted by: zack | 2008-11-21

thank you. i now know what i must do.zack

Reply to zack