Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2008/06/08

BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER

My daughter has been diagnosed as Borderline Personality Disorder. Reading on the internet the treatment would primarily be theraphy - dialetical behaviour. What is this and where is it practiced. Please help with any other info you might have as well. It is serious!!

Firstly, no responsioble doctor should EVER make a diagnosis without discussing in detail the outlook and treatment options with the patient ( and if a younger patient ) the family. There is no established proven remedy for BPD, and dialectical behaviour therapy is only one option among several ; and I don't know of anyone in SA practising this form of therapy. The shrink who made the diagnosis had a professional duty to discuss available treatment options and, iof not personally able to provide the modality he/she recommended, should have made a referral of your daughter to someone who can. I think the person who made the diagnosis needs to be approached again, to complete his /her task