Question
Posted by: Col | 2008/10/28

Borderline Ovarian Cancer

Hi - I am a 53 year-old woman who years ago had various infertility drugs / treatment (including one GIFT and one IVF treatment) for a number of years and was unfortunately not able to have children. I now go for a 6-monthly check-up with my Gynae to have my breasts and ovaries checked (I had a Total Hysterectomy) as advised a few years ago by my retired Gynae / Infertility Specialist. I am aware that due to not having had children and having been on so many fertility drugs for +- 7 years, my chances of Ovarian and Breast cancer are increased. My question is: I have read that Yoghurt / Milk products can increase your chances of BORDERLINE / Ovarian and Breast Cancer. Would you please give your opinion as I love Yoghurt and eat two small tubs a day. The above occasionally crosses my mind and I don' t know whether it is something that I should be concerned about or not! Thank-you.

Dear Col

I have not come across any literature or medical journals that reveals that having yoghurt and milk increases your chances of borderline ovarian or breast cancer. My advice is for you to continue having yoghurt, as there seems to be no correlation between the two.

Answered by: Dr. Y. M. Dasoo