Question
Posted by: flower | 2010/08/16

border collie and jack russell

hi there

i have a very hyperactive border collie who is three years old and a very laid back jack russell. The border collie is a male and he is neutered and the jack russell is female not neuteurd. My problem is we had our first child two years ago and for the last year we just dont seem to find the time for walks and giving the dogs as much love as we used to. our second child is coming early next year and then it will most probably be worse.

my problems i have is this, i cant find suitable owners for both dogs where i know in my heart that they are loved and cared for, on the other hand they have warm kennels in the back yard and get food every day and we take care of them well except on the social point of view. What is worse, sending your dogs away and not knowing what will happen, or keep them. they are far better off anyway that street dogs and how some people take care of their animals but if i could just find someone who is willing to provide a good home with lots of TLC. what type of emotional scarring am i doing to the dogs

Hi Flower

Have you ever thought about getting a dog walker?

If you were to re-home your dog's then you would most likely have to seperate them. As long as the dog's are re-homed to a loving family then I do not forsee any behavioural problems developing.

P.S. You may have to spay the female JRT

3
Posted by: Chill | 2010/08/16

You might also scout around on Google a bit for ways to enrich their environment, to prevent boredom - that''s in addition to making arrangements for appropriate exercise.

Just enter the words: dog environment enrichment and stand well back - you''ll get around 391000 hits. I''m sure you''ll find something in there!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010/08/16

At many vets places you will find on the notice board repuatble dog walkers. They are sometimes older people and sometimes older children who want to earn pocket money. You can suggest how long you want to walk them and how much they charge. My daughter had to take on two walkers for her 3 dogs when she had a back operation for 10-12 weeks until she was able to do so herself. You can but try. Alternatively put an ad in your local paper or at your vet and check references. Good luck.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/08/16

Hi Flower

Reply to CyberVet