Posted by: Henja | 2012-04-16

Border Collie and defecation

My parents have a border collie (8 years old). I used to stay in a flat when he was a baby to approx 4 years old. We had to walk him to a nearby park to do his business. I have since moved into a house with a small garden. However he refuse to defecate in my garden and we still need to walk him to the nearby park in order to do his business.

Can we change this behaviour? I feel really sorry for him to wait until we have time to walk him.

Hi Henja

It is difficult to say if you can retrain your beloved Border. I advise that you discuss the matter with a qualified dog behaviorist/ trainer. Talk to your local vet practice to locate an appropriate professional dog behaviorist/trainer to assist you.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell