Posted by: Meg | 2009-01-19

Border collie - 6 months - limping

I have a 6 month old border collie pup (male) who is limping on and off! After rest or he has been sleeping his leg is perfect but after a long walk or we do some running he starts to limp. It' s his right front leg, might be the has been 3 weeks and his limping comes and goes with excercise! I rested him in the beginning for 1 week and he seemed perfect after that and then when I took him for a long walk he started limping again?

He is currently in puppy agility training, NO jumping or anything that might damage the joints ect.

I just want to know what is the best thing to do....I don' t want to pay to go to a vet only for him to tell me that I need to rest him??

If anyone can give me some advice?

Thanks :)

Dear Meg

Maybe you will find a clever vet somewhere that will tell you a bit more.

Posted by: Megs | 2009-02-13

WOW, what great advice you give.

Im being ridiculed for giving my puppy excercise. I am not an idoit and know that puppies (especially border collies) at his age can' t do all that an adult can, I actually READ up a whole lot about border collies before buying one, like many people DON" T do.

Thanks again for the GREAT advice.

Reply to Megs
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-19

Don' t worry, this is the moronic cv' s so-called sense of humour.

If your dog is limping for 3 weeks you have to take him to the vet, even if it costs you a couple of bucks.

You sound as though you' re over-exercising this pup, anyway. He shouldn' t really be going for ' long walks'  or runs - he isn' t fully grown, his muscles and skeletal system are still developing, and you are in all likelihood doing him more harm than good.

Go and get your dog properly diagnosed, that is the responsible thing to do - and if you are lucky enough to get away with ' rest him for a bit' , then count your blessings. This could be something worse, which needs treatment or an approach entirely different from the one he' s getting.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Meg | 2009-01-19

huh??? What kind of answer is that?

Reply to Meg