Question
Posted by: Yvette | 2012/08/27

Border collie

We have a border collie male of about 1 year old. We have had him since he was a puppy. We also have two older Huskies. Our border has this habit of running up and down in the back yard all day. He is in the backyard during the day while we are at work. Then when I get back from work which is usually around 4:30 we go for a walk. He is then in the house and with us til the next morning. We play ball with him in the evenings as well. The worry I have is that he tries to herd the two huskies,who completely ignore him. And it intensifies if one of us humans go outside. He will then give high pitched barks while turning in a circle a few times and then running off to the other side of the garden. I am worried that I am causing neurosis in my dog. We are not sure what to do to correcdt this behaviour. Should we get him a friend(another collie) who he can run around with and they can chase each other or do we need to walk him twice a day instead of once?He is also not neutered yet. Could that be adding to the problem?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Yvette, welcome to the world of herding Collies!They are the most stunning, intelligent dogs but are very high maintenance. It sounds to me like your boy is just plain bored. what I would suggest is take him for a walk in the morning before work and during the day make sure you leave him with some very interesting stuffed chew toys to keep him busy.
Are you allowing the dogs into the home at all? what can often occur is if the dog does not get a lot of human companionship (you are part of his pack), the behaviour will worsen when you are around. He is also in his adolescent period when behaviour does tend to worsen. If he does this when you go outside, just turn around and walk back into the house, and see his reaction to that!
To get another dog will just end up in another problem behaviour as they tend to copy one another.
I would also suggest that you look at taking him to something like agility, field trials etc to get rid of his natural high spirits. We hope to be featuring the BC as the Breed of the month end Sept of Oct, so please do check out our free website for all dogs lovers so you dont miss it. the website is www.friendsofthedog.co.za Thanks Scotty

3
Posted by: Julie Henderson | 2012/10/17

I have the same problem, my collie has gone the one step further
she nips the other dogs on there bumbs as though she were herding sheep. This can cause problems with the other dogs.
I have a boerboel who she likes to torment and the alsatian who is getting on in years. My sisters in-laws live in a flat on the property and during the day, it seems as though the collie is spoilt and when they go out and come home she will attack the other dogs, which is causing a problem between the boerboel and the husky, who never had problems before. How can i stop this.

Reply to Julie Henderson
Posted by: Yvette | 2012/09/04

Hi Scotty

Thank you for your reply.I thougt it might be something like that. I will look into the toys. Just worried that the other dogs will try and steal them and demolish.Maybe get it for all three. We will also start walking him in the mornings. My husband wants to start running again in the mornings so this will just forcehim to start.

As for him being in the house. He is generally with us in the house. The huskies are not allowed in though. When he is in the house he will ask to go out. When it gets dark then he is happy to stay in the house with us. He is part of the family too. He sleeps in our bedroom on a pillow and even ventures onto the bed at night when he gets a bit cold. I will wait and read about collies on your website.
Yvette

Reply to Yvette
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/08/30

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert