Posted by: Raberta | 2012-12-12

Booze fulled weight gain

I came in to some money and took some time off work. I did no exercise but cleaned my house ect so I was not unactive at all. I did though eat dinner out 3 x a week and on top of the meals I would drink 2 bottles of wine easy and then on a Friday night go on huge drinking spree’ s of cider and shots and of course leads to junk food eating late at night and then hang over food the next morning. I have put on 10kgs in the last year living like this and I am so desperate to lose this weight. I have never been big but I have never been super skinny and always have watched what I eat in general. I know its the booze and the eating that comes with it.

So for the last month now I have cut out the junk food and no more cider and shotters just a few red wines. I am more active now as I am working again and have a busy life.

I know the weight will take some time to come off but I wanted to know will changes like this and being more active to shift it or am I going to have to go all out personal trainer full fledge diet kind of stuff?

Dear Raberta
I agree that your gain of 10 kg over the past year is probably due to the excessive energy intake from alcohol (29 kJ per gram/ml) and from eating fatty junk foods (fat provides 37 kJ/gram). For you to lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake down to about 1500 kcal or 6300 kJ per day and to also do some physical activity regularly such as going for brisk walks or cycling. Try using a balanced energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) to start your weightloss going.