Question
Posted by: Marina | 2012/04/11

Boot camp for over 50

Dear Doc, I''m 55 years old, and have become very unfit over the past three years. I played hockey until well into my 30''s, but after that only walked or swam on and off. Since becoming a widow, I''ve gained 25 kg in weight, and my energy has really gone down. I have now reached a point where I would like to get the vooma back and to up my energy levels. I would very much like to do an Adventure Boot Camp for a month (3 times a week). Is this something I could start doing without being at a high fitness level, and being overweight? On the whole I''m healthy, with a normal blood pressure level. Should I have a check-up beforehand, and if so, what should be checked?

Hi Marina

You're always better off having it checked beforehand, regardless of situation, but in this case, it may be particularly the case given that you've come in off a long period of not training.

As for the level, it depends on the Boot Camp. It can be very taxing, but some are not, and the members can kind of control their own intensity. If that's the case, then it's as hard as you choose to make it. If it's not, then you may want to look for a slightly easier option to work your way into, and look at a Boot Camp in say July. That is very much dependent on the programme specifically, and I can't comment on that, unfortunately. it helps that it's 3 days a week and not every day, because you'll get some recovery between training, but you'll have to see how it goes, and control how much you do and how hard you do it.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/04/22

Hi Marina

Reply to fitnessdoc