Posted by: Maddy | 2009-02-03

My sister is recovering from surgery. (diverticulitis) She was not told what she can and cannot eat,she is extremely weak and has lost a lot of weight. Can you tell me which foods she can eat and what she should avoid? She also needs something to boost her, any suggestions? What about a supplement?

Dear Maddy
Because of the seriousness of your dear sister's condition and her recent surgery I cannot prescribe a diet for her over the Internet. For her own sake and to aid her recovery it is essential that she should be under the care of a clinical dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will have to tailor a diet to your sister's needs and the aftermath of the operation (e.g. if part of the digestive tract has been removed, etc), which may require liquid feeds, or special meals. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'General' and read the article on 'Post-op liquid diets' to obtain some information on this subject.
I do hope that your sister will recover soon.