Posted by: distressed | 2008-11-24

boob shrinkage

Dear Doc,

I have a unique problem –  I think. I have asthma and am on chronic medication for it. I take symbicord (formoterol and budesonide) and nasonex (nometasone furoate). Ever since I have been on this medication my boobs have shrunk 2 bra sizes and I have developed ‘ male-like’  hair around my nipples. I ignored this in the beginning (I have been on the medication since 2006), since I thought maybe I was loosing weight because I started to exercise more. But I am getting really worried now, loosing 2 bra sizes is kind of distressing and overall I have only lost 2kg since I went on this new medication. My Dr said it was nothing to worry about. But I am worried.

One of my friends said, it might be polycystic overy symptoms, she has that. When she described the symptoms though, it did not match. I have my period regularly and have not gained weight and have not grown any hair anywhere else on my body except around my nipples.

What is wrong with me? Is the ‘ boob-shrinkage’  because of the chronic medications?

Another friend recommended that I go onto the Diane Pill to enlarge my boobs. She said her boobs grew.

Please help!

Dear Distressed
I think this warrants a blood test to determine if your testosterone levels is abnormally high (women do have testosterone - just in low levels!) - it is unlikely to be due to the asthma medication as the doses are too low to be absorbed in your system, it works only locally in your lungs. It may be due to an ovarian cyst or abnormalities of the adrenal glands. Please see your gyne about this