Posted by: Anon | 2011-03-28

We get our annual bonuses somewhere during April - there is no definite dates, and it has always been stated that bonuses are not guaranteed. However we get our letters at the end of March stating what bonuses we are getting.
My question is this - after receiving the letter (but no payment in bank account) - if I resign - can the company rescind on my bonus payment? Ethics are not part of the equation, as the company will abide 100% by labour law, and if they are able to pull my bonus they will - the question is whether or not they can.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: bonuses

If you resign the company should not be able to rescind on your bonus payment. Please have a look at your terms and conditions of employment to see if you must be in their employ when they pay out the bonus.