Posted by: Concerned | 2009-01-16

Could someone please answer my question with regards to 13th cheques or bonuses  are employees by law entitled to a 13th cheque or is ot just by discretion of the bosses?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Most bonuses are at the discretion of the employer. Please have a look at your contract of employment or letter of appointment and if it is a guarantee in that contract or letter, then you are guaranteed same.

Posted by: Concerned | 2009-01-19

Thanks Boetie, i will be sure to refer back to my employment contract.

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: Boetie | 2009-01-16

I would think it depends on the original agreement between yourself + employer. Something like 13th cheque should be mentioned in your letter of appointment / contract with the co. otherwise it could be said that it is given at the discresion of management. If it is at management discresion then you don' t have a right to it but it is then a privelage.

Reply to Boetie