Question
Posted by: Greg | 2009/10/14

Bones

I would like to know if there is a supplement that i could take to help make my bones stronger. I find that when I do any high impact sports, that my shins take a pounding (i lift heavy weights, box, play tennis &  golf as well as breakdance) as well as my forearms. I' ve taken many calcium supplements with no joy. Im a heavy guy (105kg at 6ft, pretty lean). Could you please advise me as to what I should take, Im already consuming plenty calcium in my diet.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris/Greg
I think you should first determine if your bone densitity is normal - this can be done by a DEXA scan - your GP can organize for you. One needs to take Vit D and Calcium for healthy bone growth and you do need to get at least 15 min direct sunlight on your skin per day.
Excessive exercise could cause microtrauma in the bone and cause things like shinsplints and micro fractures.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/14

Hi Chris/Greg

Reply to cyberdoc