Posted by: Hilary | 2009-03-16

bone health

About 15 years ago I broke my ankle and had a pin inserted. Occasionally it aches and my ankle swells up. Is this to be expected, or should I have it checked. I' m 59 and overweight.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Hilary
this would be normal- especially if you are a little overweight. Even losing a fe.w kilos may make a big difference. If it really worries you, have it checked out by your doctor.

Posted by: denise | 2009-05-04

I am 62. What do I take to prevent osteoporosis? Is the doctor going to tell the truth or just try and sell a product which will cause some other problem for which I will be sold another pill?

Reply to denise
Posted by: Abi | 2009-03-21

I broke my ankle 24 years ago and also had to have a pin inserted. The pin had to be removed a few months later. I then had to undergo painful phisio for 6 months, but is grateful that I can now walk normally today - despite age getting to me.
The weather DOES play a role in how my ankle conduct itself and how much discomfort and pain I experience. Spending too much time standing still on the ankle also causes swelling.
I would suggest you see a doctor. Ask the doctor about a diet that will help lessen the effect of arthritis (even if you don' t have arthritis, this diet helps lessen the pain in the ankle). Also ask for advice on supplements you can take. I can honestly say that my diet and the supplements I take, is making a huge difference.
Also ask about exercises to strengthen the ankle - especially if you are overweight.

Reply to Abi