bone growth and hyperbaric oxygen therapy

my husband had a very bad break in his leg from a bike accident. both fibia and tibia crushed at the ankle. in 12 months (after numerous ops and bone graph) one of the bone has not grown. a gp suggested hyperbaric oxygen therapy. we dont know much of this - can you advise?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Anonymous
Unfortunately I don't know much about this either except that it can be very expensive and there is no real scientific evidence to show that it aids in fracture healing. Having said that- I know that one tends to become quite desperate for something to work and if you have the funds it probably can't do any damage (except to your pocket!). Hope your husband gets better!

hi. my dad was shot in his leg, and his femma had being shattered, the surgeons inserted a 30cm plate and the last x ray taken shows that the screws on the plate have broken, there is still a big gap in the bone and it doesnt seem to be groiwng, could it perhaps be his age, seeing as he is 56, or could it be that the growth of the bone has caused the screws to break?he is dreading going for a bone graph, is there there any alternative that would ensure the bone to grow?