Posted by: Mainie | 2009-02-03

Bone Growth

Please can you tell me what Vitamins, Minerals or supplements I can take to encourage bone growth in my jaw, I am undergoing orthodontics, and have experienced some bone loss, and would like to try and boost my system to heal faster and perhaps increase the bone density in that area, many thanks, Charmaine

Dear Mainie
Minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D and vitamin K2 are required for bone growth. You can obtain these vitamins and minerals from a balanced diet that contains plenty of low-fat milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese (calcium, phosphorus, and some vitamin D), as well as fresh fruits and vegetables (vitamin K2) and by exposing your skin to sunlight for 30 min a day (to make your own supply of vit D). According to the latest research it is important that if you take a calcium supplement that is should also contain vits D and K2 (for example MenaCal.7) so that the calcium is deposited in your bones and not in the arteries.
I hope you jaw bone heals rapidly.

Posted by: najeeba | 2009-02-09

what is required for a balanced diet?

Reply to najeeba