Posted by: Ciska | 2012-11-23

Bone graft does not grow

My husband 50 years old, broke his right femur in a car accident May 2011. I don''''t think the next few bone graft surgeries were done well, because the leg broke again in August 2011, december 2011 and January 2012. We then went to a new specialist.

He did another bone graft on 23 January 2012, but too date, little to none bone growth occurred.

Can you please tell me what we can do to secure bone growth and callus formation?

My husband has been off work for one and a half years, and he still has tremendous pain.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Ciska
There can be various reasons for the non-healing and the surgeon is really the only one who can try and answer! Please make sure that he gets a balanced diet rich in proteins, minerals, vitamins etc. Gosh- this must really be frustrating. Do you know whether they sent him for a bone density as osteoporosis may also be a factor?