Posted by: anonymous | 2008-11-18

bone density - too young????

Dear Dr Bones

I' ve booked myself for a bone density scan in 3 weeks'  time, but the dr I went to in order to get a reference, advised me that it would be a total waste of money! (even after I told him that I' ve had an eating disorder in various degrees of severity for the past 11 years (I' m 24 now) and although I' m only slightly underweight at the moment, there have been times when I was very thin and even now, I suspect that I don' t always eat enough calcium-rich foods (and sometimes I' d get rid of it afterwards through vomiting - actually I still vomit after most meals).

I also told him that even though there are no history of osteoporosis in my family, it' s still a huge concern for me, and i' d like that peace of mind.

He then told me he' d give me the reference, but I' m way too young, and not thin enough. (I was in his consulting room for a grand total of 3 minutes.OK, granted, he IS actually a retired dr, but still.....I felt that he thought I was just looking for attention and that there are people much more worthy of care and medical attention.

What do you think? what would you have told someone who came to you with a similar worry?

thank you

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Please give me a call at the Osteoporosis foundation on 021 931 7894- I can discuss this in more detail when i speak to you.

Posted by: Healthy Bones Expert | 2008-11-21

Anorexia is risk enough to have a bone density done- even though you are now normal. Please give us a call at the foundation

Reply to Healthy Bones Expert