Posted by: Jeanne | 2011-05-24

Bone Density / Hip pain

Where to go for bone density analysis? Want to do whatever necessary to particularly strengthen hip joints - family history of hip replacements - uncle, grandmother, on my mother''s side. I''m a bit of a jogger, say 3.5km 2-3 times a week, and from time to time it taxes my hips. My running-style may have something to do with it, but if it''s in the joints, how to address that?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Hi Jeanne
A bone density will not really be appropriate to evaluate osteo-arthritis- it is done to look for osteoporosis. Your bone density may be excellent if you are a runner not overdoing it, but the jarring can be detrimental for the joints. If you have pain you can ask your GP to send you for x-rays and you can also do less high impact exercise, but I know this is difficult if you're a jogger!