Posted by: naked nun | 2008-11-10

Bone density - bulimia

I am a bit concerned about my bone density - is there any way to know whether it' s in the healthy range or not WITHOUT going for a very expensive bone density scan?
I have had bulimia/anorexia for the past 8/9 years (with varying degrees of intesity) and recently I heard someone say that a 25-yr-old person (I' m 22) with an eating disorder, might easily have the bone density of a 55-yr-old woman.
I' m not very underweight, just a tiny bit, and I do regular excercise such as jogging/walking.
(No family history of osteoporosis.)

Would you recommend ANYTHING I can take (some supplements/bone builders) as a preventative measure JUST in case, before it' s too late??

Dear Naked nun
You should take Calcium supplements, and you could go for an x/ray of the back if you think the bone scan will be too expensive ( it should not be that expensive)