Posted by: Marike | 2010-08-18

bone cracking

Dear Doc, I have a horrible habit of cracking my nuckles. Is this really bad for you? What are the long term side effects?

Also, my hips, knees, back etc cracks automatically more often everyday. Is this reason to worry? Could this be related to my SLE?

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Marike,
There is no evidence that cracking knuckles causes any damage such as arthritis in the joints. However, a couple of reports in the medical literature are available associating knuckle cracking with injury of the ligaments surrounding the joint or dislocation of the tendons ( attachments of muscles to bones) which improved with conservative treatment. A study found that after many years of cracking habitual knuckle crackers may have reduced grip strength compared with people not cracking their knuckles.

However as you have SLE this may be an entirely different matter and needs careful management so you you need to consult and work closely with your medical doctor.