Posted by: Sue | 2009-07-07

Boils / Abscesses / Iron for PMS

Hi Cyberdoc

My mom now 67 has all her life suffered from the most terrible boils mostly on her breasts and in her groin. She had one (I have never seen anything like it) in her pubic hair with about 9 heads. She had an unfilled script for antibiotics and I helped her by pulliing out the follicle/hair where I could with steralised tweezers. The blood and pus literally streamed out. She was in agony and could hardly walk before. We also used Bactroban. They always come back but not in the same place. What kind of Doctor deals with this? Dermatologist?

She has had 2 ops this year and does suffer from pernicious anemia and is being treated for it. Also has Diabetes and BP all under control. She says she is sensitive to fat and a dose of flax seed capsules may have caused it?

She does not absorb nutrients well hence the anemia and the specialist is doing a test on her liver in 6 months time.

But as a rule what could help her or where to go?

I' d like to ask you if taking an iron supplement only during the non-active pills on Nordette will help as I had anemia myself due to changing pills and bleeding irregularly for months. It is normal now but should I just stay on it permanently or only for a time in the month?

Also for how long can you safely take Evening Primrose Oil for PMS, like forever?

Hallo Sue
She may have an increased sensitivity for bacteria due to her diabetes - it may help to take a low dose antibiotic long term preventatively. A dermatologist could be a good choice or a physician.

You could have your blood tested at the pharmacy from time to time and you only need to take the iron pills if you test anemic.
Evening primrose oil can be taken longterm with safety.