Question
Posted by: Worried Mom | 2012/03/12

Boils

Good Morning Doc, my daughter is a Gymnast and has been doing gymnastics for the past 5 years. Recently she has developed boils just where the lining of her leotard reaches below her backside? I was told by my GP this does occur as a result of the perspiration and rubbing of the leotard? Is this so? What can I do to prevent this from happening again? My poor child is suffering and has survived 4 boils already and is threatening to stop Gymnastics if she develops another one? Some advice please.

It may be the case, I must confess it's not an area I'm especially knowledgeable on. Can she look at wearing shorts (they'd be called "hot pants" in the lingo!) during training, so that the leotard is only worn in competition and then for short periods only? That would be a practical solution to attempt. Other than this, medication may be the route to go - as I'm sure you known, is to drain the boil, but they do sometimes treat them with antibiotics. Is it possible that her recurrent problem is because there's an infection there that hasn't been treated? I'd look into this as a medical route as well, and then I know there are some creams that can be applied, and she might consider applying this before training and competition, in order to prevent them from forming.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/03/17

Reply to fitnessdoc