Question
Posted by: Jenn | 2008/09/11

Boiling water

When I started my son on formula milk I read that water should be boiled once. I then read that boiling it too much is not good even for us adults. I can' t remember what the artical said about what it does to the water. Could this be a bad thing? I' m asking because we have a very big urn at work and this thing is boiling the water at least every 10 minutes the whole day. Was just wondering.

Dear Jenn
I can't imagine why the article you read, said that boiling water more than once would do anything to the water? What could happen if one boils water in aluminium or iron pots is that constant boiling will cause some of the aluminium or iron to dissolve into the water which could possibly be detrimental. Check what that urn at work is made of - if it is made of stainless steel then there is no problem. If it is made of aluminium it may be an idea to ask the management to buy an urn made of stainless steel.