Posted by: Mango | 2009-02-12

Boiled eggs

Hi Doc. I suffer from high blood pressure and I' m using Ziak and trying to watch my diet. Someone told me that boiled eggs are very bad for me, I eat about three a day. Is this true and why?

Dear Mango
According to the SA Heart Foundation adults should not eat more than 4 eggs per WEEK and you are having 3 a DAY. This is not healthy and may be making your high bp worse. Eggs, while being an excellent food rich in high quality protein, minerals and vitamins, also contain high levels of cholesterol that can cause raised blood fat levels. So please reduce your egg intake to a sensible level. Eat tuna or pilchards canned in water, or fat-free cottage cheese which comes in a variety of flavours instead.
Take care