Question
Posted by: Mark | 2012-08-27

Boil ( Ingrown Hair)

Hi. Over the past week or so I have developed what I initially thought was a pimple on my groin (just below my waste)

It is really sore and being in the area that it is it constanlty rubs against my clothes aggrevating the pain, the pain is severe enough to make my day to day life uncomfortable

I have been doing some research on the internet and now believe that it may be a boil as a result of an ingrown hair. I do not shave in this area but undestand that you can still get ingrown hairs reagardless. I have subsequently shaved the area just so that I can see the infected area better

The actual area is dark red with the skin area around hard and very sore to slightest touch

I have been trying a lot of home remedies having lots of hot bathes and applying hot face clothes to the area. It really hurts touching the area but the hot compresses seem to help. I have even put detol into the water and add Germaline to the skin

What has happened now is that the area has started to bleed as well as puss (white mucus). The more it expells the blood and mucus the less the pain but his has now been going on to days of constant blood and puss coming out and the pain although relieved not totally going away

I am worried that the area might be infected and that this might put my health at risk

What should I do?

Mark

You have cellulitis due to infection of an ingrown hair. You will have to consult your doctor for a course of oral antibiotics and incision and drainage of the infected area, in order to get rid of the puss.