Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2011-11-21

Boil

Hi Doc, I have a boil on my buttocks on the coxix bone and it is extremely painful. I have been putting x-trax on it with a plaster twice a day and it is still very hard on the outside edges, it now is starting to look like a blister in the middle and there are about 3 black dots on it, I have tried to squeeze it a little but it is too painful, is there anything else I can do to make it pop? I cannot drive or even sit as it is too sore. Does heat help? What method of applying heat can help?

Leanne

A cold compress, followed by a heat compress, will alleviate your symptoms. You can purchase compresses at your pharmacy.

Please do not squeeze or pick at the boil. It is imperative that you consult your doctor for surgical drainage of the boil.