Posted by: ashleigh | 2009-03-25

boerbul behaviour

Hi, please tell me if it is normal behaviour for a boerbul to bite its owner or family member. I have a 5 month old boerbul who is cute, playfull, well behaved and his training is coming along lovely. He knows he can play bite daddy but mustn' t chew mommy hard. I am scared of dogs and more of a cat person however my own dogs are treated like children. They are spoilt but disaplined and trained. I believe that a dog who is loved, given lots of affection and looked after properly will not bite the hand that feeds it.

Should I be looking for warning signs while he is young? Should I be worried?

Dear Ashleigh

Firstly treat him as a dog and do not let him bite anyone. He should know his place in the hierarchy, hopefully down at the bottom somewhere. I always get nervous when people like you treat a massive dog like a child and call yourselves 'mommy' and 'daddy' The only warining signs I see is they way you treat the dog at the moment.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-27

Hi there  Cautious mentioned uncalled 4 agression, makes me think of our 2 Dobeys we had, a spayed female &  a male. They were very protective towards children - all children, our property + our vehicles when they they rode in them. On neutral ground like in the street or park or on the beach they would play with anybody who took notice of them. They only bit 1 person - a drunk who despite being warned 2 keep away insisted on coming in 2 make trouble while our kids were outside playing with friends. He got his legs + hands bitten while the dogs kept themselves between him + the kids. Needless to say he never came back again.

Posted by: RP | 2009-03-27

I am not one to really give my opinion here, don' t know alot about boerboels, but have learnt alot the last two months. My 6 year old was bitten by one 2 months ago, luckily only on the arm. The owner, very good friend, was close and helped her. Once he let go of her he went for him and bit him on the wrist. Right after that nobody could get near the dog and he was put down. Now I have learnt that it is all about the breeding lines that should be right. If the show any aggression whatsoever, you should be very very carefull.

I agree with the others, it is like a child, you don' t allow them to jump on the couch at home so why should they be allowed some where else to do it. It confuses them. Stick to a rule for everything and everyone. This is where the jealousy comes in hence the biting.

Reply to RP
Posted by: Cautious | 2009-03-26

I worked with a lady who bragged about how aggressive her 15 mth old Boerboel was. They got him from 1 of the many so called " Boerboel teelers" . I warned her about his agression but she just shrugged it off. Then 1 day he almost killed their worshond because of jealousy. I warned her that the next victim could b one of her children but she just argued + said it would never happen. Well 2 weeks later it did happen. Fortunately her husband was close by to take control + the child was not too badly bitten. My point is that 1 must keep an eye on the dog. Any uncalled for agression is a big NO NO especially when U have children.

Reply to Cautious
Posted by: Steve | 2009-03-25

Years ago when we bought our 1st house we got a Bull terrier. He was very boisterous + rough. Big dog lover spoke about " power play"   well I made that mistake with him. We used to play with him with an old car tyre + he would hang on + just not let go, he won the game everytime. When he was a year old he was so rough that we eventually gave him away. Everyone in the house was scared of him + nobody could handle him anymore. It was my own fault - that' s what ignorance does. Since then we' ve had 2 GSD' s, a Boxer + a Rottweiler X Doberman. No problems with any of them because we joined the club + all went 4 training. Discipline with love + asserting your authority - that seems 2b the secret.

Reply to Steve
Posted by: Big dog lover | 2009-03-25

U guys need 2 b very careful. Never let him get the idea that he can dominate or is in a position 2 dominate with his physical strength. If U allow this then U will have your hands full when he is fully grown. He should not be allowed 2 bite or 2 win any " power play"  battles. Discipline with plenty of love but not taking any nonsence, that is how he should b treated. He must know that he is definately NOT at the top of the ladder as far as hierarchy in the family is concerned. I only hope he comes from good breeding stock because there is a lot of indisriminate breeding of Boerboelle by people who don' t know what the' re doing. The breed is very much in fashion now but there is also a lot of negativity surrounding the breed because of so called breeders who don' t really have a clue as 2 what thre' re doing. Remember he will become a big powerful dog + U will have 2b in a position to control him at all times. Join a club where he can b trained, it' s a must. Regards.

Reply to Big dog lover
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-25

He' s only a puppy, and this is puppy-biting. All puppies do it, and have to be trained not to.

You are unlikely to succeed in this if you permit him to ' play-bite'  daddy, and not mommy - he actually shouldn' t bite anyone.

If you are afraid of dogs, you may well be sending him the wrong signals, and if that is so, you could end up with a serious problem unless you address it now.

It sounds as though you' re going to training classes - if not, please do so! - and you need to discuss this in detail either with the trainer, or with a behaviourist, who will be able to guide you. Boerboels are potentially very dangerous dogs, and now is the time to invest some effort into sorting this out, before things go too far or his habits become entrenched.

It shouldn' t be too hard to fix this now, as long as the whole family knows how to treat him, and everyone sticks to the programme.

Reply to Chill